The theme for this year’s meditations is “comfort and joy“. I look forward to sharing my advent journey with you.
We don’t have to go far to find the treasure we are seeking. There is beauty and goodness right where we are. And only when we can see the beauty and goodness that are close by can we recognize beauty and goodness on our travels far and wide.
— Henri Nouwen from Bread for the Journey
This site began as a free WordPress site nearly ten years ago in 2003. In 2018, WordPress added increasingly intrusive advertisements to its fee websites. To maintain the meditative look/feel and to have control over what was being presented on my site, I have had to pay for the ads to be removed. If you are able, please support my work by making a small contribution here:
Your contributions help me to continue to post and share on In Silence Waits.
Alternatively, purchases made through links to amazon.com earn a small commission through affiliate linking at no extra cost to you. Below is a list of new or recently released books that are frequently featured on this site.
Thank you for your continued support.
Some Simple Things to Pray For During Advent:
- Pray for attentiveness to what truly matters, without being distracted by trivial things.
- Pray for opportunities to learn something new regularly.
- Pray for discernment of how God would like you to set your priorities and the ability to focus on them consistently.
- Pray for the grace to be able to rest, become aware of God’s presence, and enjoy it.
- Pray for strong relationships with other people in the bond of a loving community.
- Pray for peace in all situations, no matter what the circumstances.
- Pray for an enlivened imagination that helps you contribute to the world in creative ways.
- Pray for freedom from all that burdens you – past mistakes, fears, destructive habits, hurts other people have inflicted, and more.
- Pray for joy and a sense of humor.
- Pray for confidence in God’s love for you and trust in His power to work things out for the best in your life.
- Pray for a clear mind and the ability to clearly communicate what you value to others.
- Pray for openness so you can grow as a person and encounter God more fully.
- Pray for a genuine awareness of God’s grace in your life and the humility to extend grace to others.
- Pray for a passion to pursue justice.
— Martin E. Marty adapted from When True Simplicity is Gained: Finding Spiritual Clarity in a Complex World
- Keeping Advent Simple
- Seeking the Light: Advent Prayers
- Unbind Me; A Prayer for Joy
- Seven Principles for Living with Deep Intention
- 2018 Advent Daily Meditations
- 2017 Advent Daily Meditations
2019 Holiday Gift Guide:
New or Recently Released Books
An invitation into the heart of ChristmasThis online retreat is not about adding one more thing to your holiday schedule. It is about helping you find spaces for reflection that draw you deep into this season that shimmers with mystery and possibility.
This retreat offers a space of elegant simplicity. Intertwining reflection, art, music, and community, this four-week online retreat provides a distinctive opportunity to travel through Advent and Christmas in contemplation and conversation with others along the way.
Follow on social media: