Based on his talks at New York’s St. Patrick’s Cathedral on Good Friday 2015, the New York Times bestselling author and editor at large of America magazine offers a portrait of Jesus, using his last words on the cross to reveal how deeply he understood our predicaments, what it means to be fully human, and why we can turn to Christ completely, in mind, heart, and soul.
New York Times bestselling author James Martin, SJ, offers a vivid and compelling portrait of Jesus based on the Messiah’s dramatic last words on the cross. Each meditation is dedicated to one of the seven sayings:
- “Father, forgive them; for they do not know what they are doing.”
- “Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in Paradise.”
- “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”
- “Woman, here is your son. . . . Here is your mother.”
- “Father, into your hands I commend my spirit.”
- “I am thirsty.”
- “It is finished.”
With warmth, wisdom, and grace that infuse all of his writings, Father Martin explains why Jesus’s words from the cross are so important for the life of the believer. For Jesus’s final statements show how deeply Jesus understands our human struggles.
Hardcover: 144 pages
Release Date: February 2, 2016