be a source of serenity for me
when struggles and difficulties
threaten to overwhelm me.
God of hope,
assure me of your unconditional love
when I doubt myself
or question the worth of my life.
encourage me to embrace you
during those times when I get lost
in the lies of my weakness.
hold me to your heart
when I feel helpless
in the face of the world’s pain.
keep me ever close to you
during those moments
when bleakness surrounds my life.
shelter me under your wings
when I am engulfed in sadness
and overcome with distress.
God of peace,
you are the center of my life,
a strong refuge of peace
in the whirlwind of my pain.
I look to you for strength
and a constant assurance of hope.
— Joyce Rupp from Out of the Ordinary
- Depression and The Spiritual Journey
- Prayer Against Anxiety and Depression
- What If I Am Not Sadness?
- Sweet Darkness
- Life Has Not Forgotten You … It Holds You In Its Hand
- Healing Woundedness
- Even In Darkness It Is Possible To Create Light